Here’s an update on the farm. I’m researching and learning about aeroponics and will begin construction on my first prototype of an aeroponic unit this weekend. It’s gonna be a lot of work, a lot of trial and error, and a lot of learning, but it will also be an amazing opportunity to move forward on the farm. Pre-constructed units cost thousands of dollars, and we simply don’t have that kind of money starting out. Therefore, I get to relive the Erector Set days of my childhood and build my own concoction.
I’m not sure I can put into words how excited I am about rolling up my sleeves and building something. Once upon a time, I thought I was going to be a design engineer, and I spent many years in drafting and industrial arts to learn the basics. Then, I realized that my math skills were not strong enough to be an engineer, and I gravitated to writing as an outlet for my creative drive. When I started clearing the land last spring, I reconnected with that part of myself, and now I’m chomping at the bit, so to speak, to get on this project. I’ll probably even stop at Home Depot on the way home to window shop.
On a more specific note, we’re setting ourselves a tangible goal of nineteen months for having the farm fully operational. It will take a tremendous amount of work to get there, but I’m so desperate for a change in my career that I’m willing to put in the time to make it happen. Nineteen months means three more full semesters and one more summer session of teaching. Then, hopefully, I can retire from education and focus on the farm and my books. When that day arrives, I will be one of the happiest people on the planet, in addition to already being the luckiest.
One day next week, I’ll post an update on how the prototype is coming. That’s all for now.